Silhouette

Hier können Seychellen-Reiseberichte hinterlegt werden
Guy
Silhouette

Beitrag von Guy »

Hello ,
If people are interested I can send every day a small Beitrage about my stay here on Silhouette.
I arrived in Seychelles Monday morning the 7th. I did some shopping during the day, because on Silhouette there are not so many things to obtain like potatoes onions or tomatoes. Cheese I brought with me from Europe, like Rouquefort, Stilton and Camenbert.
On Tuesday the 8th I took the IDC boat “Salmar” to Silhouette. It is a very fast boat that took us in less than an hour from Victoria harbour to Silhouette on a very calm sea. There were also 3 young English people on board that continued with a smaller boat to Grande Barbe. They are part of a project from GVI (Global Vision International) to monitor the sea turtles at this beach,
The 3 mast cruise ship “Le Ponant” was at our time of arrival anchored in front of the harbour, while the passengers were visiting the island. I met Ron Gerlach ( I am gonna live the rest of my stay in his house here on Silhouette) at the harbour only for a few minutes. He is for a few weeks the naturalist on board of “Le Ponant”.
I was happy to find back “my house” and “my tortoises” and their 97 babies. It felt like I had never been away.
Jules, the boy working for “Nature Protection” had been so friendly to buy for me a crate of beer (normally limited to 6 a week on the island) and coca cola in the shop the previous day.
The next morning at 6, heavy rainfall woke me up and in 40 minutes 15mm of rain came down, the first since my arrival. The rest of the day only sunshine with a maximum of 32° and 93% humidity. This first whole day on the island I used to acclimatise.
Yesterday, Thursday the 10th, I made the mistake to try a walk in the mountains, which is normally to risky because the path, with the rainfall of the previous day, was to slippery.
I had the luck to see a snake-meeting on the leaf of an endemic young palm tree, but was also so unlucky to fall and hurt my left leg rather badly. The nurse in the local hospital took care of it. In the afternoon 2 boats with day trippers visited the island and our tortoise breeding program. It was a warm and sunny day. At 8 o’clock in the evening it started raining again.
Bis morgen.

Gruesse,
Guy

P.S. Please send me your reactions, if you like this kind of “Beitrage” yes or no.
Sorry but to write in German is a bit to difficult for me.
Rolf

Beitrag von Rolf »

Hello Guy,

it's a very good idea to let us participate in your stay on Silhouette by publishing your diary here in 'our' forum.

I wish you (and us :wink: ) wonderfull and adventurous weeks on Seychelles.

Have fun,
Rolf
Guy
Beitrag von Guy »

Hello Rolf,
Danke fur die positive Anwort.
I will try to add some pictures from time to time.
Gruesse,
Guy
Sibylle

Re: Silhouette

Beitrag von Sibylle »

Hallo Guy

Deine Beiträge sind immer willkommen, sehr interessant und wie in diesem Fall (Turtles) spannend. Ich habe bei der Marine Conservation Society zwei Hawskill Turtles namens Tony und Leonie "adoptiert", so kann ich den Seychellen auf diesem Weg etwas zurückgeben, da ich seit vielen Jahren immer wunderbare Ferien dort verbringen darf.

Ich hoffe, deine Verletzung ist nicht so schlimm?

Grüsse aus der Schweiz
Sibylle
Sissi

Beitrag von Sissi »

Hi Guy,

super Sache!!! Wenn man Deinen Beitrag liest, hat man das Gefühl, selbst auf den Seychellen zu sein. Ich freue mich schon auf Deinen nächsten Bericht :D!

Hoffentlich geht es Deinem Bein bald wieder gut, damit Du auf Silhoutte wieder herum- :dance1: kannst!

Liebe (Seychellen-süchtige) Grüsse
Sissi
Gaby

Beitrag von Gaby »

Hallo Guy,

danke für den interessanten Bericht, ich freue mich schon auf den nächsten und wünsche dir natürlich gute Besserung.

Liebe Grüße
Gaby 8)
Sissi

Beitrag von Sissi »

Sibylle hat geschrieben:Ich habe bei der Marine Conservation Society zwei Hawskill Turtles namens Tony und Leonie "adoptiert", so kann ich den Seychellen auf diesem Weg etwas zurückgeben
Hi Sibylle,

wo ist "MCS" und wie kann man Turtles adoptieren? Kann ich das auch? :D !

Liebe Grüsse
Sissi
Dirk

Beitrag von Dirk »

Hallo Guy,
ich freue mich immer, etwas über Silhouette zu lesen, ganz besonders von dir - dem Silhouette-Experten hier im Forum!

Bei unserem letzten Besuch auf Silhouette im Dezember haben wir, obwohl uns Ron Gerlach spontan die Station und die Schildkröten sehr freundlich und auskunftsfreudig zeigte, leider versäumt am nächsten Tag durch eine Spende unseren Obolus zu entrichten. Peinlich, peinlich :oops:

Im Internet habe ich bisher leider keine Kontonummer für das Tortoise-Projekt auf Silhouette gefunden, um dies nachzuholen. Guy, kannst du mir eine Kontonummer/Bankverbindung nennen? Kann ich mir das sehr schöne Kinder-Buch über die Riesenschildkröten mit Text und Zeichungen von Ron Gerlach nach Deutschland schicken lassen (ich bezahle gerne im voraus)?

Gruß, Dirk
Rolf

Beitrag von Rolf »

@ Dirk & Sissi

Guy hat vor einiger Zeit einmal hier im Forum auf Möglichkeiten der Unterstützung von Ron Gerlachs Projekten hingewiesen ...
http://www.seychellen-infos.de/seyforum ... ght=#17615

Ist bestimmt keine schlechte Investition. Muss allerdings zugeben, dass ich davon auch noch keinen Gebrauch gemacht habe, aber das wird schnellstens nachgeholt.

Grüße,
Rolf
Sibylle

Beitrag von Sibylle »

Hallo Sissi

Du kannst alles auf der Hompage nachlesen:
http://www.mcss.sc/adopt.htm

Eine Turtle- oder auch Walhai-Adoption kostet 50$ im Jahr. Mit diesem Geld kann man einen Beitrag leisten zum Schutz dieser vom Aussterben bedrohten Tiere, das finde ich eine tolle Sache. Du bekommst dann ein Urkunde/Foto deines Schützlings, woher es kommt., etc. Ich habe auch schon Nachricht bekommen, wieviel meine Turtles schon gewachsen sind und wieviel Gewicht sie zugelegt haben.

Das sind "meine":

Tony: a hawksbill turtle tagged on 9-May-92 in the Aldabra atoll, Seychelles
Leonie: a hawksbill turtle tagged on 18 December 2001 near Grand Soeur Island, Seychelles

Gruss
Sibylle
Sissi

Beitrag von Sissi »

Danke Sibylle! Super!

LG Sissi :D
Guy
Beitrag von Guy »

Hello,
The best way is to become member of “Nature protection Trust of Seychelles”.
The price is now 30 £ (British pounds)
For this price you receive 4 times a year Birdwatch and once a year the scientific magazine Phelsuma.
Birdwatch brings every issue notes from Aldabra by Rainer Von Brandis
from Aride by Dr. Dylan Evans & Frankie Hobro
from Bird by Margaret Norah
from Cousine by Quentin Hagens
from Fregate by Steve Hill
from North Island by Jon Duncan
and Silhouette by Ron Gerlach
about wildlife in general (like sea turtle news from Bird, more than 160 successful nests this season, with more than 13000 hatchlings) and bird life in particular (like reports from the magpie robin from Fregate, Aride and Cousine).
Phelsuma brings news from the wildlife from all the Western Indian Ocean, and Seychelles in particular. It is a full colour print well illustrated magazine, with 160 pages, 100% sponsored by my son’s company. I think it is worth its money.
I think Sissi can confirm the quality of this magazine.
I will try to find out the IBAN and SWIFT code.
Regards,
Guy
Sissi

Beitrag von Sissi »

Guy hat geschrieben: Phelsuma brings news from the wildlife from all the Western Indian Ocean, and Seychelles in particular. It is a full colour print well illustrated magazine, with 160 pages, 100% sponsored by my son’s company. I think it is worth its money.
Ich kann Guy's Worte zu 100% bestätigen!!!!
Das Magazin ist in englischer Sprache gehalten, sehr interessant, eine gute Qualität und sehr informativ. Super!

LG Sissi
Guy
Beitrag von Guy »

Hello,

This morning the 11th at 5 o’clock very heavy rain woke me up again. 29 mm of rain before 7 am. 25°C and 93% humidity. Slowly the clouds faded away and at 11 am. blue sky and a burning sun. I visited the nurse again to arrange my leg. When I walk or even move at night in my sleep the wound starts bleeding again, I have no pain but it id very ennoying. . I printed some pictures for the Indian workers, who are building the new school on the island. There were Indian priests flown over from India for a special occasion, which one I don’t know. They asked for some pictures so they can send them to India to be published in their religious magazine over there.
The afternoon I stayed mostly home to give my leg time to recover.
Local fishermen promised me bourgeois (red snapper) jobfish and octopus so I can give a barbeque for my friends here tomorrow.
I appreciate a lot these Indian workers. They start at 7 in the morning, stop between 12 and 1 and work till 5 sometimes till 6 in the evening. At 6.45 starts their prayer, which means singing and dancing till 7.45. They are with 25 at the moment and live all together in one house with 3 rooms. Actually they do only some painting, because they can not finish the school because there is no cement in Seychelles for the moment.
Now the hotel is closed I miss its restaurant for diner in the evening. Every night I have to cook myself. I thought deep frozen hamburgers from the local shop could be a welcome abwechselung for tonight, but for my part they were uneatable so I made spaghetti.
Today the weather was very nice on Silhouette but in the East the whole day dark clouds hung above Praslin.
Grüße und gute Nacht,
Guy
Dieter_

Beitrag von Dieter_ »

your diary is very interesting and entertaining, especially the details in it (like morning rain, the indian workers and so) let my phantasy produce even more pieces of the puzzle and thus give an intense imagination.
Antworten