Seychelles in May/June 2021 (Travelogue in English)

Hier können Seychellen-Reiseberichte hinterlegt werden
Bong!!!

Re: Seychelles in May/June 2021 (Travelogue in English)

Beitrag von Bong!!! »

foto-k10:
You mean near signpost with that piece of wood nailed to it ? I'm not aware...

Suse: Thank you (-: I should stay covid-negative for a while, at least I hope so. Honestly, going through all of these pictures and refreshing my memory, I would like to be back again (-:

Ah, like a hedgehog, of course, for some reason, a tapir and mouse has passed through mind first when I was thinking about some comparison (-:

Thank you for the Information, glad to hear that this find was lucky, after all these crabs and spiders... (-: They must've been young as they were really small, slightly larger than a mouse. Checked wikipedia and adults should be approx. 1.6-2.4 kg, with length between 26.5 and 39 cm.

Mahé day #2, part 2
Next hike I've planned for today is the Dans Gallas trail, trailhead is not far from La Scala where I've parked my car, just a 10 minutes drive to the Chemin Le Niol from where i was starting. I usually don't spend much time in Beau Valon area, honestly I'm not sure if I even ever visited Beau Valon beach...

Bild

Todays early lunch, some South African stuff (-:
Bild

Slope is lower at the beginning, but after while, it became steep and the trail is partly made of steps reinforced with wooden branches. It's hot and the sun is pitiless, so it was a good idea to bring 3L of water.
Bild Bild

Views along the trail are breathtaking, I really like scenery of the green hills on Mahé. Something that couldn't be captured on a photograph. Summer in Alps is nice too, but here in tropics it's different.
Bild Bild Bild

At some parts of the trail, it was possible to take a breath in a shade (-:
Bild

Last part of the trail is going through jungle, with one section fitted with railing. Trail was still rather steep, but not exposed to the direct sunlight. Lot of spiders too, I was glad that I wasn't a first hiker on that day (-:
Bild Bild Bild

Last few meters to the top:
Bild

And finally, views from the top:
Bild Bild Bild Bild Bild Bild

Quick stop at the nearby STC hypermarket (-:
Bild

Few years ago, I've started to collect bottle openers sold in hypermarket, not much of a collection so far, I know, but there are just 4 designs anyway, if I remember well (-:
One is missing, my little son has took it and placed it I don't know where (-: The one on the left is from 2018. On the right, newest addition from 2021 (-:
Bild

Weather is still nice, so I'm adding another hiking stop - Copolia Trail as it's along the way back home and I'm going via Sans Soucis Rd. to the west side of the island (which I prefer). There are another hiking trails starting on Sans Soucis Rd., but I prefer something shorter.

New addition to the trail - benches, some sort of a station and a chain (-: There's also a 100 Rs entrance fee for non-residents. Nobody around, so I'm crossing the chain...
Bild Bild

This particular trail is rather popular, so I'll share just a few pictures from the top, I don't have many from the trail anyway... I really like that large granite plateau on the top (-:
Bild

Something new on the top as well:
Bild

Would be better without Eden Island though...
Bild

View with a valuable piece of architecture on the right...
Bild

I've heard that lord of that castle from UAE does not spend much time there anyway while he is in Seychelles, as he prefers south Mahé, where he has built something else...

Last stop for today is at Anse Barbarons - just a little walking around and a shopping in Pineapple Studios.

I've also visited local cemetery (-:
Bild

Sometimes, one could learn interesting facts there... Like something from the history of Chagos Archipelago. Picture below was taken on Rodrigues island.
Bild

And that's it for the day, thanks for reading (-:
foto-k10

Beitrag von foto-k10 »

Bong!!! hat geschrieben: 07 Jan 2022 15:37 foto-k10:
You mean near signpost with that piece of wood nailed to it ? I'm not aware...
When I walked trail last time, sign was on the other side :lol:
And it was different sign, closer to the paved road.

Bong!!! hat geschrieben: 07 Jan 2022 15:37 Todays early lunch, some South African stuff (-:
Bild
Jungle power bar for the hike i the jugle, no wonder you have power for two trails ...
Bong!!! hat geschrieben: 07 Jan 2022 15:37 Would be better without Eden Island though...
Would be better without the chain and warning signs.
Are people so stupid to step over the egde?
Bong!!!

Beitrag von Bong!!! »

foto-k10:
On the road, next to the fork leading to Anse Major was sprayed sign that it's a wrong way (-:

It was actually 3 trails on that day, but yes, Anse Major and Copolia are easy, so 2x Jungle Power was just enough (-:

To be honest, I've heard about various incidents that happened on the islands but when I think about it, probably never about any fatality at the top of the Copolia trail. That chain probably wasn't necessary and I found Eden Island and Burj Khalifa more disturbing objects.

Mahé day #3

Yesterday, It was north so today, it's time to explore south part of the island. I'm parking the car in front of the Anse Forbans chalets and then continue further south on foot. Today's goal is to reach Anse Capucin via trail starting In Anse Forbans, or, more precisely, at Anse Marie-Louise Beach.

Anse Marie-Loiuse beach:
Bild

Banana planation along the road:
Bild Bild

Trail past the Anse Marie-Louise:
Bild

Trail is a bit overgrown and I think that all spiders from La Digue have moved to Mahé, so a spider stick is necessary...
Bild

After while, I'm taking fork to the left and I've reached nice small beach with granite rocks (Petit Anse Marie-Louise):
Bild Bild

While taking pictures, I'm standing on one of the larger rocks and in a second, I'm loosing balance and sliding down. Results - sprained left ankle and a larger cut from a sharp edge of the stone. I sat down for a while and noticed that nearby crabs are attracted by the smell of blood. Thinking about horror stories of tourists on La Digue being eaten alive by the crabs... (-: I've washed the wound in salt water and later poured some bottled water over it and I'm hobbling back to the Anse Forbans, using my spider stick as a walking stick this time... So, Anse Capucins... Maybe next time...

Few pictures from the way back:
Bild Bild

Hiking is over, that's for sure, so I'm at least stopping at this small beach, just by the coast road, north of the Surfers Beach bar:
Bild

Rest of the day, I'm shopping for souvenirs... Wasn't sure about the size, that's why the pack of cigarettes is used as a measure (-:
Bild

Well, I have to admit that this day wasn't very interesting...
foto-k10

Beitrag von foto-k10 »

Well, you are a really Mr. Next Time :wink:
Suse

Beitrag von Suse »

Bong!!! hat geschrieben: 11 Jan 2022 22:45
Well, I have to admit that this day wasn't very interesting...
Are there more days to follow or did the incident spoil the rest of your stay?
Wenn du keine Kokosmilch hast, machste einfach normales Wasser.
- Grubi -

https://s12.directupload.net/images/210215/bx7vkcag.jpg
Bong!!!

Beitrag von Bong!!! »

Yes, there is last day and half left to cover - I was struggling with work related stuff for the last few weeks (I could use another trip to Sey...), that's the reason why this last piece is taking so long )-:

However, I want to finalize it this week, as I already have a draft half completed. I'm sorry for waiting.

That incident on Petite Anse Marie-Louise haven't spoiled my stay, as I've indicated above, I've had basically one day left anyway (-:

However, what I should take into account next time - If I'll be going solo wherever - need to pickup some destination I do not know that much as Seychelles - to keep myself more occupied with exploring, planning on-site, etc. I have to admit, that I was getting kind of homesick for the last few days. Which wasn't the case previous year in Mascarenes for example...
Bong!!!

Beitrag von Bong!!! »

foto-k10:
That is indeed my favorite saying, especially when I'm traveling (-:

Mahé day #4
For today, I was originally considering another hiking in the north or Moyenne island. However, since I'm not able to walk any longer distance, I've decided to visit Port Launay area.

Early in the morning, beach is quite empty:
Bild Bild

It's a nice beach for sure, but presence of the Ephelia ruins it from my point of view. Every time I was here it was rather busy - for a Seychelles standards, of course, in Mallorca, I would consider it a quiet place (-: And I don't like the sun loungers either. So much for the unplanned visit...

I don't expect it to be deserted today, as Mahé, unlike Praslin or La Digue has received relatively high number of the tourists - given the current situation. Ephelia has probably focused on sales in Russia this time so, after like 11:00, russian pop music from portable speakers became unbearable and I've decided that it's time to go (-:

I've tried to reach Anse des Anglais (and eventualy continue to Rosl Lepa) - from the beach of Port Launay, however, terrain was too steep and rough (path overgrown) so I've decided not to try my luck and really take it easy for the rest of my stay. So - maybe next time (-:

On my way from Port Launay, I'm stopping at Port Glaud. On the small island in the distance, some russian equivalent of "Survivor" reality show has taken place in the past. It can be reached on foot during low tide. Never been there though. (-:
Bild Bild

Lunch at "Island Cafeteria", few minutes drive south from Port Launay. It's more like a take-away, but you can sit down as well + I like their fish curry (-: It's often frequented by locals too. On the other side of the road, opposite to the Café, there's a trail leading to an abandoned hotel - just a few hundred meters away.
Bild

Another thing I like in countries like Seychelles that we're usually supplied with a fresh fruits at places where we stay (-:
Bild
Bong!!!

Beitrag von Bong!!! »

Mahé day #5 / departure day

My flight departs at 17:45, so I have almost full day. I usually spend such day at Anse La Liberté, now located within the grounds of Four Seasons hotel, with various types of villas built into the hills surrounding the bay. Could be better, could be worse... (-:

Judging by number of the people around, I'd say that there are relatively lot of guests, not sure about the nationalities though, as I almost always stay on the right side of the beach, away from the crowds.

Few pictures of the beach, waves are rather high, despite the fact that it's almost windless:
Bild Bild

After some time, I've decided that it's time for a change and for the lunch, so, Baie Lazare and La Gaulette it is:
Bild Bild

While in Seychelles, I eat mostly tuna and fish curry (-:
Bild Bild

Meanwhile, I'm still trying to get that Seybrew T-Shirt I'm looking for since departure from La Digue. Asking every day in the supermarkets and no luck. So I'm stopping at the supermarket in Baie Lazare, near petrol station on my way back to the apartment...

No T-Shirts, but I've been given a Seybrew cap ! :bounce:
Bild

Already displayed on the desk in my study, a great addition ty my Seychelles collectibles 8-)
Bild
Bong!!! hat geschrieben: 04 Nov 2019 22:41 So, it's always the same... I'm standing in front of the airport on Mahe, smoking my last cigarette before boarding and thinking to myself... "Well, maybe next time..." :-)
Bild

And the last Seybrew before departure... (-:
Bild

Few pictures from Addis, they've got better with coffee, but hot chocolate was quite terrible, so If someone of you wind up in a coffe shop there, go for a coffee, not chocolate as an average drink from a vending machine tastes better (-:
Bild Bild Bild

Chinese contractors were / are building the airport, so there's a wide variety of Chinese cigarettes available at duty free - with a design more or less interesting. Makes a nice gift to bring back home (-:
Bild

Last few days weren't quite interesting plus I've felt a bit homesick as I've pointed out in my previous post... But still, I'm very happy that I've made this trip as it was somewhat unique experience. And will I visit Seychelles again ? Probably yes, as there are still some places I'd like to explore and some places I'd really like to show to my kids, although, I wonder how would I "enjoy" this kind of vacation in my teens, but that'll be another story :lol: Not to mention that I still need that Seybrew T-Shirt...

When I will visit again ? I think that I'll take a break, kids getting older but still, we'll probably opt for some more "kids friendly" destination in Europe, or, Mauritius would do too if we plan something for the harsh winter... Mauritius wasn't exactly my cup of tea, but I think that it's not a bad option for a family vacation. Or UAE, not bad either + shorter flight. We'll see...

And my next solo adventure ? If everything will go as planned, then French Polynesia it is. Around October 2022 or May 2023. I've recently watched South Pacific series from BBC: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Pacific_(TV_series)

And there would be much more places that I'd like to visit in that region, but, let's not complicate the itinerary that is already complicated, as is my custom for a first visits :lol:

And that's about it, vacation is over. Thanks everybody for the comments and reading (-:
foto-k10

Beitrag von foto-k10 »

Bong!!! hat geschrieben: 03 Feb 2022 15:54 Meanwhile, I'm still trying to get that Seybrew T-Shirt I'm looking for since departure from La Digue.
Asking every day in the supermarkets and no luck.
Next time? :lol:
Bong!!! hat geschrieben: 03 Feb 2022 15:54 Thanks everybody for the comments and reading (-:
Thank you for writing.
Bong!!!

Beitrag von Bong!!! »

foto-k10 hat geschrieben: 04 Feb 2022 09:39
Bong!!! hat geschrieben: 03 Feb 2022 15:54 Meanwhile, I'm still trying to get that Seybrew T-Shirt I'm looking for since departure from La Digue.
Asking every day in the supermarkets and no luck.
Next time? :lol:
Sure, I've forgot to mention that (-:
Suse

Beitrag von Suse »

Bong!!! hat geschrieben: 03 Feb 2022 15:54
When I will visit again ? I think that I'll take a break, kids getting older but still, we'll probably opt for some more "kids friendly" destination in Europe, or, Mauritius would do too if we plan something for the harsh winter... Mauritius wasn't exactly my cup of tea, but I think that it's not a bad option for a family vacation. Or UAE, not bad either + shorter flight. We'll see...

And my next solo adventure ? If everything will go as planned, then French Polynesia it is. Around October 2022 or May 2023. I've recently watched South Pacific series from BBC: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Pacific_(TV_series)

And there would be much more places that I'd like to visit in that region, but, let's not complicate the itinerary that is already complicated, as is my custom for a first visits :lol:

And that's about it, vacation is over. Thanks everybody for the comments and reading (-:
So you still had a good time despite the accident. :D

Thanks a lot for taking us along on your adventures and musing about Seychelles, it was fun to read and comment. I share a lot of your thoughts and our travel plans are accordingly.

Mauritius has a lot to offer if you don't stick to the beaches. People were so friendly. I would definitely go again, but there are so many other things to do and other places to go to, so at the moment it's not a priority.

There still are some places in Seychelles that attract me and that I am curious about and there are people there I want to see again. So there will be another trip in the coming years. But before it's French Polynesia for us, too, so keep checking the Forum. Fingers crossed that everything goes as planned. Til then enjoy the Fon Lamal and other stuff. :lol:
- Grubi -

Bong!!!

Beitrag von Bong!!! »

Of course I did, things like this, it just happens. Could be something worse as well, like falling coconut, or shark attack maybe, all sort of bad things could happen in Seychelles (-:

You're welcome and I'd like to thank you (that goes to foto-k10 too) for all the additional information and interesting facts (-:

As for the Mauritius, I've particularly liked southeast part of the island with Black River Gorges national park, approx. from Le Morne to Souillac. East coast around Trou d'Eau Douce wasn't bad either. I've also liked La Cambuse beach, just next to the airport. But it was completely different experience than Seychelles, almost in all aspects. Actually, to some extent, thanks to the development and overall cultural landscape, especially on NW coast of the island, it felt like somewhere in south Europe.

On the other hand, Island of Rodrigues was true highlight of my trip to the Mascarenes, and I would certainly like to visit it again. Kind off the beaten track place, completely different from Mauritius, despite the fact that it's one country.

I have fond memories of deserted (and beautiful) natural beaches:
(Trou D'Argent)
Bild Bild
(Anse Bouteille)
Bild Bild
(somewhere between St. Francois bay and Cotton bay)
Bild

Some nice hiking routes:
(From St. Francois to Gravieres)
Bild Bild Bild Bild

Driving an old pick-up around the island:
Bild

First octopus salad I've ever eaten :lol:
Bild
I don't like seafood, but I was hungry and this was the only option (-: Actually, this was sort of misunderstanding and a result of my rusty French language combined with the fact that I was tired after the flight - I've flown to Rodrigues right after arrival to Mauritius. But I will remember it and that's what it is about (-:

So much for the Mascarenes spin-off (-:

You're planning French Polynesia too ? That's nice (-: I've found it - from my point of view and based on my interests and preferences, as a best and most interesting choice in south pacific. And easy, travel-wise (well, that's relative...) What islands are you looking into ? If it's not a secret of course (-: I'm considering Tahiti, Moorea, Huahine, Raiatea / Tahaa and Maupiti. I'd like to add Tuamotus or Marquesas, but since I'll have approx. 2.5 weeks travel included... Let's be realistic... Tuamotus would be more doable provided I'll cross something off the list, but I have to think it over...
Suse

Beitrag von Suse »

Bong!!! hat geschrieben: 06 Feb 2022 00:28
You're planning French Polynesia too ? That's nice (-: I've found it - from my point of view and based on my interests and preferences, as a best and most interesting choice in south pacific. And easy, travel-wise (well, that's relative...) What islands are you looking into ? If it's not a secret of course (-: I'm considering Tahiti, Moorea, Huahine, Raiatea / Tahaa and Maupiti. I'd like to add Tuamotus or Marquesas, but since I'll have approx. 2.5 weeks travel included... Let's be realistic... Tuamotus would be more doable provided I'll cross something off the list, but I have to think it over...
For us it wasn't first choice, we've been planning the next trip for a long, long time, when the pandemic wasn't an issue yet, but in 2021, when we got serious about booking, it became clear that those destinations we had in mind wouldn't open borders until our departure. French Polynesia offered stable travel restrictions from which they didn't even deviate after the surge in infections after Macron's electoral campaign tour in Summer 2021, so we took this destination as one we could rely on. And as the other side of the coin the journey will come timely, as in 2024 the surfing competitions of the Olympic Summer Games will be held in Tahiti Iti, which is, until now, a secluded place not overcrowded, what will perhaps be no longer the case after it has been pushed into the global spotlight. There are other hidden gems on our itinerary, but as in FP in general there is nothing really secret, as it's a touristically well developed country, there is nothing to hide, we will surely write a trip report afterwards, whether here or in another Forum I've been participating in the last years (as it suited our travel plans better than this), I'll let you know, if you are interested.
So the itinerary is no secret neither, we'll start with both Tahitis (Nui and Iti), Moorea, Tuamotus, Marquesas and Australes. We'll stay 9 weeks.
2 1/2 weeks included the time for getting there and back again is not much, I wouldn't cram Marquesas into it. Tuamotus neither, otherwise you'll only have just 1 or two nights on every island. Or are you considering Tahiti only as a stopover? Many people do that, but I'd recommend to stay longer, the Island has so much to offer, especially Iti, and with 2023 you would be still on time for getting there before the Games.
- Grubi -

Bong!!!

Beitrag von Bong!!! »

That's a new information for me - about surfing competition taking place at Tahiti Iti as a part of the Olympic games. To be honest, I'm not following Olympic games at all. Just because the controversy sparked, I know that actual winter Olympics are taking place in China. Did not even know that 2024 summer Olympics are being hosted by France. I would rather expect Russia, Qatar, North Korea or something like that... (-:

By coincidence, I've just read travelogue covering French Polynesia mentioning annual surfing competition sponsored by Billabong in Teahupo'o. But that one was 12 years old, so, no mention of the Olympics of course.
Do you really think that it could have negative impact in terms of total number of tourists ? It could attract some international attention, but still, It's French Polynesia. With exception of the US west coast, it's far away from it's possible target markets. It's expensive to get there, traveling around the islands isn't cheap either (even with Air Tahiti Pass), then to plan & organize whole thing If you do not opt for travel agent... I'm not sure if surfing competition, even as a part of the Olympics, could make these variables more bearable or restrictive. I can imagine that it could attract more upmarket inbound tourism, but how much that could be in total numbers...

What can I say, I wish I could have at least half of the time you've allocated for this trip, but it's what it is (-: Basically, it'll be like 2 weeks travel excluded, that'll be more accurate. But it depends. Since I certainly want to visit island of Maupiti - with only handful of places to stay and scarce flights in comparison with other islands - I'm planning whole trip around it. Maybe I will even visit Bora Bora just to get there - depending on actual flights availability and schedule.

I'm planning Tahiti (Tahiti Iti) as a sort of an extended stopover - as a first stop, or as the last one, approx. 2 full days. If I'll opt for the Air Tahiti Pass with Tuamotus extension, then I'll probably sacrifice Moorea for it (still have sort of mixed feelings about it, as it might bee too "busy" for my preferences), next in line would be Raiatea / Tahaa, but another reason I've included this island is that from here, it could be easier to get to Maupiti (in terms of capacity of the inter island flights).

For a certain, time is the limit, there is lot to see and lot to do, but I do not want to make it "Tour de French Polynesia" either. I'm aware of the fact that 5 islands / 14 nights means average 2.8 nights per island, not to mention transfers and maybe a bad weather too. In terms of weather, I'm not very lucky, this trip to Seychelles was an exception, other than that, I've brought rain even to Dubai :lol:

Let me know when you post your travelogue from French Polynesia (-:
Suse

Beitrag von Suse »

Bong!!! hat geschrieben: 07 Feb 2022 20:54
Do you really think that it could have negative impact in terms of total number of tourists ?
I can not know for sure, but I'd expect it. Until now mostly big wave surfers came to this place. Among english speakers the place is known as "Chapo" because they didn't even know how to spell or prononunce "Teahupoo". :wink: Many people aren't even aware that the peninsula exists at all. I can not imagine that showcasing the wave in tv globally won't have any impact. I'll try to attach a video, not sure if it shows without FB account, but as I know you have one, you'll be able to watch it anyway. It's an interview with a polynesian activist from the "Fenua aihere", which is the local name for the eastern part of Tahiti Iti, and about her worries concerning the impact of the Games, it's not only about the number of tourists but also about constructions and development that comes with the necessary infrastructure. It's in french, but I remember you mentioning you speak french and it has subtitles, too. I have other clips about the actual situation on the peninsula. Things are changing there, but people in Teahupoo are more active than people in Seychelles when it comes to fending off overdevelopment or overtourism.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?ref=sav ... 3490241864
- Grubi -

Antworten